Corgi Aviation Archive Collector Series AA36103
Consolidated Catalina Mk IVA Diecast Model
RAF Coastal Command No.210 Sqn, RAF Sullom Voe, Shetland Islands, 1944, Rescue Diorama
|1:72 Scale|| ||Length|| ||Width|
|Consolidated Catalina Mk IVA|| ||10.75"|| ||17.25"|
No.210 Squadron was formed on 1 April 1918, from No.10 (Naval) Squadron at Treizennes and was equipped with Camels. It had originally been formed at St.Pol on 12 February 1917, as part of the Royal Naval Air Service based in Flanders. During its first week as a RAF squadron, it was engaged in ground attack duties, helping to stop the German offensive, and there followed for the rest of the war a period of offensive patrols and bomber escort missions over Belgium, fighter cover also being given to monitors off the Belgian coast. In February 1919, it returned to the UK and disbanded on 24 June 1919. On 1 February 1920, No.186 squadron as a Torpedo bomber unit equipped with Cuckoos but disbanded again on 1 April 1923. It reformed on 1 March 1931 at Felistowe as a flying boat squadron, receiving Southhamptons in May. In June 1931 it moved to Pembroke dock where a flying boat base was being built which became the squadron's home base until the war. In September 1935 No.210 converted to Rangoons and moved to Gibraltar during the Ethiopian crisis, returning in August 1936 to re-equip with Singapores. In September 1937 it was detached to Algeria as part of an Anglo-French force assembled to counter the activities of submarines attacking neutral shipping during the Spanish Civil war, returning in December. In June 1938, the first Sunderlands arrived and by the end of the year No.210 was fully equipped. The first operational patrol with the type was flown on 3 September 1939, and in the following months detachments were positioned at Invergordon and Sullom Voe to fly patrols over the northern exits from the North Sea. In July 1940 the Squadron moved to Oban to fly patrols over the Atlantic and in April 1941 converted to Catalinas. In February 1942 a move was made to the Shetlands and a detachment was transferred to No.202 Squadron and all the operational aircraft to No.302 Ferry Training Unit. On 1 January 1944, No.190 Squadron was renumbered 210 squadron and the latters remaining detachment at Hamworthy was dispersed. Patrols from Shetlands were flown for the rest of the war and on 4 June 1945 the squadron disbanded. The Consolidated Model 28 PBY Catalina was so successful in its definitive form that it went on to become the most extensively built flying boat of all time. Here, a 210 Squadron Catalina MK IVA from RAF Sullom VOe, Shetland has located two weary downed aircrew, drained but grateful after a long night in the North Atlantic swell.
Designed to replace the Martin P3M, the PBY Catalina was first flown on March 28th, 1935. This aircraft is a long range patrol flying boat, one of the most rugged and versatile aircraft in U.S. history. Its long range assisted in the location and attack of enemy transport ships. A great advantage of flying boats is that they need no runway, however later PBY variants incorporated retractable landing gear, allowing for amphibious operation from land or water. Even today—more than seventy years after its first flight—the PBY continues to fly as an air tanker in firefighting operations throughout the world.
© Copyright 2003-2016 The Flying Mule, Inc.
Corgi's 1:72 scale PBYs feature massive observation blister-windows located aft, with a variety of crew and machine gun configurations in each release. These windows provide a clear view of the bulkhead leading to the main cabin, walkway and hull construction ribs. There are articulating outrigger pontoons and a massive wing, with details such as simulated fabric-covered control surfaces. Transparent lens covers are separately applied to the large landing lights on each wing's leading edge. The series includes a flying boat variant, with detachable "beaching gear," as well as an amphibious variant which can be configured with extended or retracted landing gear.
© Copyright 2003-2013 The Flying Mule, Inc.
The Corgi "Aviation Archive" range presents highly-detailed, ready-made diecast models of military and civilian aircraft. The vast Aviation Archive range has become the standard by which all other diecast airplane ranges are judged. Each Corgi model is based on a specific aircraft from an important historical or modern era of flight, and has been authentically detailed from original documents and archival library material. Famous airplanes and aviators from both military and commercial airline aviation are all honored.
Corgi "Aviation Archive" diecast airplanes feature:
- Diecast metal construction with some plastic components.
- Realistic panel lines, antennas, access panels and surface details.
- Pad printed markings and placards that won't fade or peel like decals.
- Interchangeable extended/retracted landing gear with rotating wheels.
- Poseable presention stand to display the aircraft "in flight".
- Many limited editions with numbered certificate of authenticity.
- Detailed, hand-painted pilot and crew member figures.
- Authentic detachable ordnance loads complete with placards.
- Selected interchangeable features such as speed-brakes, opened canopies and access panels.
- Selected moving parts such as gun turrets, control surfaces and swing-wings.
© Copyright 2003-2016 The Flying Mule, Inc.